Friday 6 December 2013

Day 340. Memories of South Africa.


Woke up to news of Mandela's passing and took a few minutes to read some of the letters in this book.

I visited Cape Town when I worked at BT and it was quite a trip. Took a helicopter to lunch one day, a flight over the Cape of Good Hope and dinner at the President's House, situated at the foot of Table Mountain ( Thabo Mbeki wasn't there). Robben Island was one of the highlights of the trip and it was a humbling experience*. Reading this book I'm reminded of how I felt that day.

*I should just say it wasn't all culture and history; one night I drank so many vodka red bulls I was still wide awake by breakfast the next day. I also sang Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend late one night with a pianist in the hotel lobby and later in the week sang Memories at the President's House dinner. It was a polarised trip... And I'm so lucky to have experienced it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment